Saturday, July 21, 2012

The Times They are A-Changin'

As of 5:31 yesterday, I'm officially unemployed.  This is a good thing, as I have a lot to do in the next two weeks, but it's bittersweet.  I liked my job, though I'll admit this summer has been mind-numbingly slow.  I liked the people, liked the physical space, and most of the time I even liked the work.

Going to work everyday also let me procrastinate (I'll clean when I'm unemployed and have time and don't come home exhausted from fighting traffic!), and it forced me to be social.  It also gave me a sense of stability.  Now, suddenly, the fact that I'm in a period of transition is incredibly real.

Change and transitions are hard for me.  I've gotten better at dealing with them, but they still throw me out of whack.  I was talking with C last night and I realized that not only am I in a period of transition, I'm in a period of transition into the unknown.

I've never seen my new apartment, outside of photographs and a floor plan.  I've never met my new roommate, though we do e-mail back and forth.  My physical space is, in other words, a foreign and unpredictable thing.  It doesn't help that I'm having some major dental work done, either.  It's not just that I'm walking into a new, foreign space and experience.  Even my own body feels different.  It too is in a period of transition, and I'm not yet comfortable in my own skin mouth.

My remedy will be, I think, creating a daily schedule for myself.  I think it's a good challenge, not only because it will enable me to feel less overwhelmed by all that I have to do, but also because it will get me back in the habit of scheduling my "free" time.  I've read a ton of articles by law students who did well offering advice on how to do the same.  They're all different, as everyone learns differently, but a few themes keep popping up.  Organization is important.  Being productive during the day means less stress at night and on weekends.  Efficiency matters. 

Today's project starts with creating an outline of my activities for the next few weeks that will then be put in my calendar.  I guess I should stop writing about it and start doing it, hunh?

No comments:

Post a Comment